Monday, 16 August 2010

New York City (and other random thoughts)

Ok, so I must say that New York City was an amazing experience for me. I mean, it was absolutely the craziest city I've ever been to and I would never ever live there, but the history and the museums and the fashion and theatre is so wonderful it almost makes up for the lack of politeness and law-abiding people! Almost. I may be a bit stereotypical in this post, so I hope I don't offend anyone. A lot of people I met/saw there were nice. Some were stereotypical Americans. I find that the minority usually ruins it for everyone, and that's what happened there. The minority gave New York it's reputation.

I was staying on Manhattan and was generally pleased with the island. Times Square was very interesting. It was a bit too busy and too touristy for me, but that's ok. I liked uptown best because there was a lot less traffic and I found that's were all the good parts of New York were. The museums, Central Park, the lack of traffic! It was all wonderful!

On Tuesday (we flew to Manhattan on Monday) we saw Rock of Ages which was an incredible Broadway show that I would recommend to everyone (with a rating of 14A). The story was good and humorous, the characters were real and life-like, the scenes were outstandingly done! Congratulations to the whole cast and crew members!

On Wednesday we decided to go to the MoMA, which I highly advise despite the opinion of a tour guide. The art there was incredible and there was so much to see we could have stayed there all day, but we didn't. While going down the escalators my father decided he wanted to check something out on the second floor so, thinking we weren't stopping, I got onto the down escalator and was halfway down before my dad said "What are you doing?!" and I attempted to run up the down escalator. I also had a bag in my hand. I wiped out. I smashed my knee into the moving stairs and thought I had shattered my knee it hurt so much. I got down to the first floor and my mom helped me clean up. I bent my knee and was overjoyed that I had not ruined it and that it was merely bruised. It just meant a lot of limping until Friday, where I could walk without limping. It still hurts a bit, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

The flights there and back were incredible! We flew above the clouds so it looked like we were flying over the tundra!! I loved it. I didn't like take-off or landing because of the jolts and the whole "WE'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!" voice screaming in my head when we took off in London for the flight to Toronto. Flying to Toronto from Laguardia was amazing. The flight was around dusk so the sun was setting when we flew over the clouds. It still looked like the tundra, but it looked like the sun setting on the tundra. Amazing. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

We got home midnight and Saturday I went to sleepover at my Grandma's with my brother, Mojojojo.

I have been very busy with my free time because while in New York I bought Wicked by Gregory Maguire!! I had been meaning to buy it for a while and I would love to see the musical, but that will have to wait. I had seen Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, which is also written by Gregory Maguire, and thought it would be neat to read but I never bought it. Now I have decided to buy all of those reinvented fairytales written by him since Wicked is turning out to be such a good book!



Anyway, I've also decided to add a "Quote of the Day" since I love quotes and I'd love to share them.



Quote of the Day: If one could drown in the grass, thought Elphie, it might be the best way to die. - Wicked by Gregory Maguire