Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Thinking of Back to School

It's crazy that already we're thinking of what's going to happen for back-to-school when it's a little over a month away. For us in Canada (or at least here in London) school doesn't start until September 7th. This means that our sales start a bit later than those in the States, but they still occur about halfway through August.

Another crazy thing about back-to-school is that once I get back, it's my last year there (unless something happens and I'm unable to finish it *knock on wood*). I have to think about scholarships (which ones can I apply for?), what school I want to attend (UWO or King's?), and what to wear to prom. I also need to think about what I want to do with life after I finish my post-secondary education because the courses I take will reflect my career choice.

I would really like to get my PhD in something to do with English literature (or something like that). Then I'd probably go to teacher's college and then apply to be a university prof somewhere. I think I'd like to teach, but I really don't want to teach elementary school (because I know just how difficult that is for teachers) and I DO NOT want to teach high school (because my mom teaches it and I know how stressful it can be). Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that I will probably teach university/college because I don't really have to interact with the students as much as teachers do in high school and elementary school.

Anyway, so as much as I love love LOVE the fact that I don't have to deal with high school and all its drama any more after this year, I'm also scared because I'm going to be forced to make decisions about my future. It's pretty daunting when you think about it. Some kids are taking a "victory lap" (fifth year) to figure out what they want to do, but I just want to get out of here! I don't want to stay in school any longer than I have to, considering how long it will take to get a PhD.

That's all folks.