Friday, 29 October 2010

Halloween

I just wanted to wish everyone a very happy Halloween! If you don't celebrate Halloween, then that's fine too, I respect that. Looking back on past Halloweens, I think that it has certainly become more commercialized and less of what it truly is. I've been Simba, Nala, a unicorn, a witch, Cinderella, a vampire, a devil, Princess Minnie, Baby Spice, Rachel Green and Batwoman. I'm sure there are other costumes in there that I don't remember, but those are the key costumes I do remember. Since entering high school, I have been exposed to the fact that Halloween is becoming something a lot more . . . how do I say this without being offensive to anyone? Well, sexy and rather slutty. It's also become rather offensive. Yesterday was the Halloween dance at our school and two boys came as nuns. Now I'm not Catholic, but I still found it rather offensive since I am a Christian. Another boy came as Joseph, I believe. That I find rather religiously offensive and I'm sure quite a few others might have found it offensive as well. What happened to being scary and frightening people? Wasn't it trick or treat? I just wanted to remind everyone of Halloween's origins(which I find rather fascinating).

Halloween has roots in the Celtic festival of Samhain (Sah-ween) and the Christian holiday All Saints' Day. The actual word "Halloween" was first seen sometime during the 16th century and is a variation of the Scottish "All-Hallows-Even" (evening), the night before "All-Hallows-Day". Up until recently the spelling has usually been Hallowe'en. According to Celtic beliefs, October 31 is the one day of the year that spirits and the dead are able to cross over into the land of the living. These spirits could harm the living and even take them back to the land of the dead. In order to prevent this and confuse the spirits, anyone who left their houses would dress up as ghosts or spirits. October 31 was also a time when spirits could give messages to people. These Halloween traditions were brought to Canada (and other countries) through Scottish and Irish immigrants.

Quote of the day: Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen, Voices whisper in the trees, “Tonight is Halloween!” – Dexter Kozen