Thursday, 24 February 2011

"So, you think you can write a short story, huh? Of course you can."

In writer's craft today we were given an assignment. We would write our very own short stories with the theme of loss. Which would explain why all the examples he read to us were depressing stories where someone always got hurt or hurt someone. Our teacher wants it to be very original, or as original as it gets. Mine is based on a dream I had last night so it should be very original. The story will be three to four pages in length (750-1000 words) and double spaced, which means it won't be a very long short story. There are several parts to this process that we must go through for him to mark: brainstorming, story organizer, scene 1 (of 3) rough draft, scenes 1, 2, 3 rough draft, and final copy. I'm pretty excited because it means that I will get to put my writing skills to the test. I'm not excited because my teacher will be reading it. I'm very personal about my stories and who reads them so hopefully this will be a chance for me to let go of my story and allow it to be out there. I'll post the finished product here so that it really will be out there in the Internet world.

Quote of the Day: "What you do in this world is of no consequence," returned my companion. "The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Scarlett Letter