Thursday, 24 March 2011

Rugby

A week before a week before March break (three weeks ago) I decided I would join the girl's rugby team here at South. I was pretty excited about it and wanted to get some exercise (I'm pretty lazy . . .). Soooo . . . I joined up and learned quite a few things already. I've learned how to pass the ball and make it spin, what a ruck (formed when any combination of three players from both teams bind together over the ball to try and push over and gain possession), a maul (when the player with the ball is wrapped up, but not taken to the ground and players from both sides bind together to push the ball forward [or backwards in the defenses case]), and a scrum (each team's forwards lock together in a set manner, trying to position the scrum so that each team's hooker can kick or "hook" the ball back to the number 8 and gain possession for their team). One of my dad's co-workers lent me DVD that has some Six Nations games on it and I've been watching it a bit to understand what's going on. He said that however many times you work out or go to the gym or whatever, it's not enough. Already my muscles are beginning to hurt from some of the practices. Today we actually got to hit one of our coaches and practice a bit of rucking. It was pretty cool.

Quote of the day: Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory. - William Barclay

For anyone who wants to understand better what the terms are that I listed in this blog or just wants to know more about rugby, here's a good site.