Thursday, 21 April 2011

Tournament Update

My first rugby tournament was yesterday. I'm not going to lie, it was cold. It was rainy, muddy, chilly and we were outside for pretty much the entire day. It was originally supposed to be at Canner's Field, Exeter but it got moved to South Huron District High School because of the craptastic weather. We were actually the second game so we were warming up and stretching while the first game was being played. Let me get this out of the way: A lot of people say that hockey, or football have a lot of contact and complain about that. Let me tell you from experience that the contact in those sports is nothing like in rugby. There's a tackle every minute and when we're not tackling we're scrumming down. When we're not scrumming we're sprinting and when we're not sprinting we're trying to wrap tackle someone. But it was fun! I survived my first tackle and tried to help out in the rucks, but I know I could've done better. We lost all of our games but I think we still had fun. We were hauling butt across the field and screaming and getting tight and getting flat and sprinting fast. We did pretty well for our second tournament. A lot of the other coaches and referees said that we were doing really well for the amount of experience we had and that we had a lot of potential. We have an entire week to practice hard and practice well before our next tournament. The next tournament is in Stratford (yes, Justin Bieber's hometown) and then we have our last one in London at St. George's. I know we will do incredibly well in those tournaments. Gooooooo South! Fight, fight, fight!

Quote of the day: We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated. - Maya Angelou