Monday, 29 August 2011

Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Hurricanes . . . Oh My!

Last tuesday we all heard about the earthquake in Virginia that was felt VERY far away. I looked at a map that had a bunch of dots locating where it had been felt. It was felt as far east as Fredericton, New Brunswick, as far north as Sault St. Marie, Michigan and as far south as some place in Florida. I felt it here in London, Ontario. It was actually the second earthquake I've felt in 1 1/2 years. The first one I felt in June 2010 while studying in the basement for an exam. It felt really weird, as if I was about to topple over, except that I was sitting down. The computer was shaking, it felt like someone was pushing the couch and the plants were shaking too. Once that was over I texted a friend and said "My house just moved!" and he said "I'm sure it's your imagination" We went on arguing whether or not it had been an earthquake when that night the newspeople said it had indeed been an earthquake and I had proved him wrong. Then there was the one on tuesday. I was above ground for that one. As soon as I felt it I knew what it was. The computer was shaking, the desk was moving and I was freaking out then too. I thought it was a delivery truck at first (I was at work), but then decided that if it was a delivery truck the computer should not be moving.

Last sunday there was a tornado in Goderich, Ontario that ripped through the downtown area and basically destroyed the city. People are still receiving aid and there are lots of volunteers helping out. A very, very old church (I forget the actual age) that has stood in Goderich for over a hundred years must be torn down due to the damages.

Now there's Hurricane Irene. This thing is just ravaging the eastern coastline. It's now up near Labrador, Canada but it has certainly left a trail of damage. Pouring rains and whipping winds. Flash floods, mudslides, and everything in between. When the newspeople say stay indoors, they mean it! Although, I'm not sure why they would have weather people standing in the pouring rain telling people to get inside and that it's too dangerous to be outside while they're clearly standing outside in the weather . . . A little pointless.

This seems to be the week for disasters. My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by these events, and any other weather event that have ripped their way into our lives. For those in Goderich: keep faith. For those affected by Irene: keep safe. For those affected by the earthquake in Virginia: keep away from nuclear power plants.

Quote of the day: The truest help we can render an afflicted man is not to take his burden from him, but to call out his best energy, that he may be able to bear the burden. - Phillips Brooks