Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Show, Don't Tell

I know this is a day early, but I just had to post. I find I've always had trouble showing instead of telling, or at least I would think I was telling even if people told me I wasn't. I've always tried to think about what the character would do, how would they act, etc, etc. And not what the right decision was, what they would do based on their personality, environment they grew up in, etc if something was happening right in front of them or they had to make a decision. I like to create my characters before I write. Sometimes the characters are created by my writing. I like to know all their strengths and weaknesses before hand, it makes it much easier to figure out what the character would do. Obviously this can't be done for everyone, so sometimes I just have to remember what they did in the past and try to remain consistent. Anyway, I found this post on showing character traits by S. B. Stewart-Laing to be a really good way to remind myself of what to to. And telling isn't a bad thing. If telling works with your story, go for it!

How do you show/tell your character traits?

Quote of the day: Literary imagination is an aesthetic object offered by a writer to a lover of books. - Gaston Bachelard