Sunday, 27 May 2012

Destined by Aprilynne Pike

From Amazon:

Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear. He hesitated an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching. She hated how much it felt like good-bye.
Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful---and deadly---of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.

Fabulous. That is all I have to say. This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I read it. Everything was really well done and I can't complain about a thing. That's how good this book is. Yeah, I know. Laurel has really matured throughout the series, Wings being the first book, Spells the second, Illusions the third, and Destined the fourth. She seemed so young at the beginning of the series and it's great to see her grow up. Destined essentially takes place right after Illusions ends and covers approximately twenty-four hours. There was something happening every moment and the suspense was killing me whenever I had to stop. This book is action-packed. There was literally never a dull moment. Even when the action died down, something was still happening that kept me on the edge. It was thrilling! I felt as though I was reading a Dan Brown book, except this one wasn't a mystery. I kept thinking back to everything that happened in the series when I found out who the bad guy was and what they had been doing. Everything finally seemed to make sense! Now I'm going to inject a *spoiler alert* right here before I continue. If you haven't read Destined, or Illusions then this will probably spoil something for you, although it's not a very big spoiler. My only problem with this book was that they kept saying Klea was a Fall Faerie, but I don't remember it ever saying when they discovered this. Maybe I just don't remember when it did or I accidentally passed over it, but I don't ever remember there a moment when someone said "By the way, Klea is a Fall Faerie." "Oh my gosh no way!!!" It was just kind of dumped into the middle of things and was brought up several times. Ok, *spoiler alert* OVER. The ending was really well done too. I was really pleased with who she ended up with, as well as the extra letter that was contained in the back on the book. It was really nice to see where everyone was in the future. I always wonder what happens to characters after a series or book ends. Is that just me? My overall conclusion is that this book is awesome, as is the entire series. I would highly recommend this to any teenager with a love of fantasy and faeries. I'll probably end up re-reading this whole series when I have the chance.

Quote of the day: "I've loved you for a long time," she said. "But there was always something holding me back. Maybe it was that I was afraid of an emotion that was so consuming. It still frightens me," she admitted in a whisper. - Aprilynne Pike, Destined


P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway! I'm giving away Graceling by Kristin Cashore, The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien and four bookmarks.