Sunday, 29 July 2012

Chicago, IL Day 1

Chicago , IL Day 1: Sunday

Sunday morning we made sure everything we needed was packed and left at 1:15pm. There was no wait at the Bluewater Bridge, although construction forced us to take a detour to our hotel in Port Huron.

We stopped at Radioshack because my brother needed some parts for something he is building (I have no idea what) and Meijer because we needed to grab some snacks for the train ride the next day. I highly recommend bringing your own food because train food is absolutely horrible. I will never eat it if I can help it. My dad and I are HUGE fans of pepperettes and so we looked for them at Meijer to eat on the train because they don't need to be refrigerated (although they taste better when they are). We couldn't find any, although there was an excessive variety of hot dogs. I asked someone for help and he had absolutely no idea what they were so he asked me to describe them to him. It was a weird experience because I've never had to describe them to anyone. If any of you do NOT know what they are, a pepperette is basically a miniature pepperoni roll that you can eat as a snack.

(Pepperettes)

We finally found some near the deli but they were turkey flavoured and tasted odd. I will always make sure to bring my own next time.

That night we ate at the Olive Garden in Port Huron, where we have eaten before. I ordered my typical Venetian Apricot Chicken and had a Skinny Pomegranate Limetto. The chicken was very good, as always. It's basically a grilled chicken breast covered in an apricot sauce and served with broccoli, asparagus, and tomatoes, all of which have been cooked. Everything is covered in this apricot sauce. Now it is a bit on the sweet side, but I don't mind. You can also scrape some off if you don't like it excessively. I also find that different chefs apply different amounts of the sauce so sometimes you get a TON while others you get a mere drizzle. Either way, it's still really amazing. The chicken was wonderfully juicy and well done, with absolutely no pink (a must for chicken eaters) and the vegetables were cooked well also. I don't like tomatoes so I didn't eat them and therefore cannot tell you how they tasted, but I can tell you that the asparagus and the broccoli tasted good. The Skinny Pomegranate Limetto was odd. I didn't really like the taste of it. It was a reduced calorie drink of pomegranate, lime juice, and lemonade with sparkling water. Which probably explains so much since I hate sparkling water. I'm also discovering that I'm not very fond of lime juice as I tried the new Starbucks Cool Lime Refresher and wasn't very fond of that (although looking it up I discovered that it has coffee in it, which I dislike). We had really good service, two waiters for the eight of us, and they were always stopping by to make sure everything was satisfactory and that we never ran out of salad or breadsticks, which are ridiculously amazing. The manager was also constantly circling to make sure everything was good, which kind of bothered me. I hate it when people interrupt my meals and it seems that waiters always pop up whenever I have a mouthful of food.

Before pulling into the Olive Garden parking lot we were driving behind a car that had an interesting sign on it that I MUST tell you about. On the back, painted in red letters, were the words "Turn signal broken, watch for left arm as signal." It was a fairly old black car with a leopard print bench seat in the back, fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, a fuzzy black and white steering wheel cover, extended mirrors that are often found on transport trucks, and the place where the mirrors would normally have been was taped over. When he turned in front of us into the mall parking lot he actually used his arm as a turn signal as well. Just thought that was an interesting anecdote to share with you all.

Quote of the day: The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words. - William H. Gass