Thursday, 2 July 2015

The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

Goodreads: At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?

They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.


I'm just plowing through all of these books! I have two more books to review after this from my recent book haul, and two more to read. I have just been on a reading rampage!

The House of Hades was a really intense book. I was so happy to see more of Annabeth and Percy because they are just perfect. It was also great to see Leo kind of mature on this trip and grow. Rick Riordan definitely knows how to make a character grow. The plot was really intense because you could feel the pressure of all the demigods trying to get to the Doors of Death in time. The last battle was also crazy because you didn't know if Hazel would be able to step up or not (she was fighting against an immortal sorceress after all). So much was happening in this novel that I don't know if I could cover everything.

Plot. This was amazing. It carried you along without rushing but not dragging either. It really made you get into the story and not want to stop. I think I finished this novel in three days (darn work) because I just couldn't put it down!

Characters. Obviously the characters are amazing. I would have to say that I really like the new cast of Greek demigods as well as the addition of Roman demigods. My favourites are definitely Percy and Annabeth so I was really happy to see more of what was happening to them and what they were going through. Their journey coincided well with the others' so it all came together quite nicely at the end.

Setting. The setting was so phenomenal! And I'm not saying that because I went to Greece little over a month ago. Okay, maybe I am. It was just so cool to see Riordan incorporate real Greek landmarks where the Greek gods had left their mark. He also did that with Rome/Italy in The Mark of Athena, but it was neat to see places where I had been incorporated into the text (as it always is!).

Overall this was a really intense novel in the Heroes of Olympus series. I think Riordan did a really good job with keeping the story going and maintaining interest in what happened to these characters. Definitely a must read if you're keeping up with Percy Jackson!

Quote of the day: "Yeah, well," Nico said, "not giving people a second thought  . . . that can be dangerous." - Rick Riordan, House of Hades